Welcome to Mingxian's Home

Human-Computer Interaction Designer 人机交互设计师

interaction design, 交互设计

experience design, 体验设计

design theory, 设计理论

virtual culture theory,视觉文化理论

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Compare two humidifiers

From their functional aspect, the first one is noisier than the second one. The second one is quiet and you can see the cold vapor out of it. As a humidifier for a bed room, be quiet is the most important feature. From the looking aspect, the second one looks like a big vase or a piece of orchid flower petal, and this is why I bought this one. So before I went to bed last night, I thought I got the humidifier I really need and like. But after I went to bed, I found that the blue light radiate from the blue lines made me can not fell asleep, although the humidifier looks very cool and more beautiful in dark.

From my experience, the good looking attracts more users, broaden its market maybe, but the fatal feature is its functionality. A user-centered design (a quiet humidifier) becomes not very user- centered because of aesthetic feature. As a designer, how to balance the two aspects: functionality and aesthetic issue?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home